Weather threat cancels school breakfast in Columbus; case counts climb in Horry and CC

By DEUCE NIVEN

tribdeuce@tabor-loris.com

     Potentially rough weather for the region Monday morning has prompted the Columbus County Schools to cancel scheduled breakfast deliveries at all school sites, was newly confirmed COVID-19 case counts continue to climb in Tabor-Loris Community counties.

     This post will cover these topics and may be updated:

  • Weather threat cancels school breakfast in Columbus
  • Columbus COVID-19 count hits 60 with two new cases
  • 11 more COVID cases in Horry includes two in Loris area

 Weather threat cancels school breakfast in Columbus

     Columbus County Schools has consistently provided meals for students in the weeks since COVID-19 pushed classes from classrooms to distance learning models.

     But threatening weather will force at least a one-meal pause, with Monday’s breakfast canceled, the school district announced in text messages to students and parents.

     “We hope to resume meal service with lunch tomorrow,” the text message said.

     That should not impact a new meal distribution plan scheduled to begin in Horry County Monday, with the United Way and Impact Ministries trying to fill the void after the Horry County School District suspended its grab-and-go meal program last Wednesday because of COVID-19 infections among school staff in three attendance areas, and one related death.

     Distribution is scheduled from 3 to 6 p.m. Monday, or while supplies last, at Living Water Baptist Church, 1569 SC 9 in Longs; and the same hours next Wednesday at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center, 2010 North Oak Street in Myrtle Beach. Entry will be at the Oak Street entrance.

     “There is a limit of one pick up per family per week,” a United Way news release said. “Volunteers will place the box in the trunk of the car.

     “In order to receive a food box, individuals will need to present their ID. Food distribution will begin at 3 p.m. sharp when the parking lot opens.”

Columbus COVID-19 count hits 60

     Both newly confirmed COVID-19 cases for Columbus County were related to individuals previously found with the disease, a Columbus County Health Department news release said.

     Both newly confirmed patients are recovering at home, the health department said.

     Columbus County’s total confirmed COVID-19 case count stands at 60, with eight recoveries and three deaths, the health departed reported.

     “The Columbus County Health Department will continue to follow CDC guidelines to protect public health and limit the spread of infection,” the news release said. “Based on information provided by the individuals, county public health officials will assess risks of exposure, and determine which, if any, additional measures are needed such as temperature and symptom checks, quarantine and/or testing.

     “We are begging the public to take the necessary measures to stop the transmission of COVID-19. The ONLY way to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 is social distancing; there is no vaccination.

     Statewide there are 6,493 confirmed COVID-19 cases in 93 North Carolina counties, with 172 deaths, the NC Department of Health and Human Services reported Sunday.

     Regularly updated information from the Columbus County Health Department is available on its Facebook page here.

     Columbus County Health Department’s COVID-19 Call Center is also operating from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. Call 910-640-6615 ext. 7045 or 7046.

11 more COVID cases in Horry includes two in Loris area

     Nine newly confirmed COVID-19 cases in Horry County included two in the Loris Zip Code, bringing that local total to 11, South Carolina’s Department of Health and Environmental Control reported Sunday.

     Horry County’s total COVID count hit 176 Sunday.

     South Carolina’s total confirmed coronavirus cases hit 4,377 Sunday, up by 136 from Saturday, with an additional death in Jasper County bringing that total to 120.

     “Evidence is increasing about the high rates of infection in people who do not have symptoms and don’t know they are infectious,” a DHEC news release said. “This places everyone at risk of getting the virus or unknowingly transmitting it to someone else. South Carolinians are encouraged to stay home and minimize contact with people outside their households to prevent the spread of the disease.”

     DHEC recommended steps to help protect against COVID-19 infection include:

  • Practicing social distancing
  • Wearing a mask while out in public
  • Avoiding touching frequently touched items
  • Regularly washing your hands
  • Monitoring for symptoms

     Anyone with health concerns should contact their healthcare provider or used telehealth services provided by several area healthcare systems, include McLeod Health, available here.

     For other telehealth options and updated information on DHEC’s COVID-19 response efforts visit here.

     For stress, anxiety and mental health resources from the S.C. Department of Mental Health visit here.

Updates

     Look for continuing coverage on local impacts from the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak here and in the Tabor-Loris Tribune in print and online.