COVID claims more lives in CC, Horry

By DEUCE NIVEN

tribdeuce@tabor-loris.com

     COVID-19 continues to claim lives locally and globally, with two from Horry County, one in Columbus reported Monday.

     This post will cover these topics and may be updated:

  • Columbus reports first COVID death of July
  • Coronavirus claims two more in Horry

Columbus reports first COVID death of July

     Columbus County’s 40th life lost to COVID-19 was reported by the Columbus County Health Department Monday.

     With privacy concerns in mind, the department’s news release said only that the person “passed away on July 18 while hospitalized.”

     It had been nearly three weeks since a Columbus resident was claimed by the disease, the last on June 29, health department reports showed.

     Another 34 residents have tested positive for the disease since the health department’s last update on Thursday, including four more that day. There were twelve new cases July 17, seven July 18, one on July 19, and ten today (July 20).

     That brings the pandemic total of COVID cases among Columbus residents to 701, the health department reported.

     Eight county residents are currently hospitalized with COVID-19, the news release said.

     Zip Code data reported daily by North Carolina’s Department of Health and Human Services seemed to indicate some corrections, which typically follow a verification process, and showed a pandemic total of 710 cases for Columbus. There was no explanation for the discrepancy.

     State data did not yet show the latest COVID death for the county.

     Columbus County Health Department’s COVID-19 Call Center remains operational from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays at 910-640-6615 ext. 7045 or 7046.

     North Carolina reported 1,268 new COVID infections and 8 new related deaths during Monday, the pandemic total topping 100,000 for the first time at now 101,046 cases, with 1,642 deaths.

     Hospitalizations have fallen by 29 in North Carolina since Sunday, the total Monday 1,086.

Coronavirus claims two more in Horry

     Two more Horry County residents have died due to complications of COVID-19, South Carolina’s Department of Health and Environmental Control reported Monday, with 64 citizens confirmed as infected with the disease.

     Both deaths involved elderly residents, with 82 Horry residents now claimed by the disease, the DHEC data showed.

     Newly confirmed cases may be showing a decline in the county, Monday’s total well below routine counts above 100, some above 200, in recent weeks. Horry has recorded 6,781 COVID cases during the pandemic to date.

     Four of the newly confirmed cases were in the Loris Zip Code, bringing that pandemic total to 400, Green Sea holding at 32 confirmed cases.

     Statewide South Carolina reported 1,445 new COVID cases and 9 new deaths, bringing the pandemic totals to 71,213 and 1,147 respectively.

     DHEC remained unable to report hospitalizations, it said, as it transitions from a CDC based reporting system to a new system ordered by The White House.

Updates

     Look for continuing coverage on local impacts from the coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak here and in the Tabor-Loris Tribune in print and online.