Skip to content

Suspect in 2018 Loris murder charged with stolen handgun possession in Tabor City


     A traffic stop for a non-working headlight resulted in the arrest of two men on weapons charges, one who is awaiting trial in a 2018 Loris murder case, a Tabor City Police Department report said.

     Heath Cherife Reaves, 23, of Mitchell Sea Road, Green Sea, was held without bond following his Nov. 8 arrest because of the Horry County charges, the report by Officer Nick Forster said.

     Reaves was behind the wheel of a red 2014 Kia Optima and was pulled over after the officer noticed a headlight was out, the report said.

     Pulling into the driveway of a Bell Street home, Reaves told police he was there to see a family member. Moments later the homeowner emerged and said he did not know either of the men who had stepped out of the Kia.

     A “strong odor of burnt green marijuana coming from the vehicle” prompted a search of the vehicle, with loaded handguns discovered under both the driver and passenger seats, the report said.

     Both Reaves and Bobby L. Gore, 22, of Ying Lane, Tabor City were charged with a concealed weapons violation. Records checks revealed an outstanding warrant for Gore and found the gun under the driver seat had been reported stolen in Horry County.

     Reaves was charged with possession of a stolen handgun, Gore was served the outstanding Columbus County warrant.

     Bond was denied for Reaves “as he was already on bond for murder and attempted murder in SC,” the report said. Bond for Gore was set at $1,500 secured.

Loris murder

     Reaves is one of two men charged in the April 24, 2018 shooting death of Charles Edward Durant II, 20, of Green Sea. Durant was with a woman in a Chevrolet S-10 pick-up truck, stopped at a stop sign in Loris, when a car pulled up, gunfire coming from it, killing Durant and seriously injuring the woman, an Horry County Police Department spokesperson said at the time.

     Loris Police Chief Gary Buley on Tuesday said he had not kept up with progress of the case, which was handed off to county police because the LPD did not have a detective at the time.

     Look for more on this story in today’s Tabor-Loris Tribune in print and online.