By DEUCE NIVEN
Electrical wires feeding three crosses on the rear exterior wall at Beaverdam Original Freewill Baptist Church apparently ignited adjacent lumber in the roof, a fire caught just in time, church member Keith McPherson said Monday morning.
Church member Jerry Godwin discovered the fire, both men at the church awaiting a roofing contractor, McPherson said. Access to the fire was through a crawl-space above the second floor, above the Baptismal.
“We got it out with a fire extinguisher,” McPherson said.
Firefighters from the Roseland and Williams Township fire departments found embers, and took no chances, dousing the area with a fire extinguisher, water, and cutting away the burned timbers before declaring the area safe.
For more on this story see the Sept. 24 Tabor-Loris Tribune in print and online.