Tabor City’s 30th Annual Fourth of July Fireworks Celebration is scheduled for tonight, with organizers at the sponsoring Greater Tabor City Chamber of Commerce keeping an eye on the weather and crossing their fingers.
Late forecasts call for better than even rain chances this afternoon, clearer weather before gates open at South Columbus High School, and only a slim chance of precipitation by the time the fireworks fly about 9:35 p.m.
Town workers were at South Columbus early this morning, getting things ready, said Chamber Executive Vice President Cynthia Nelson.
A decision on fireworks is in the hands of the vendor, Nelson said. That company, by contract, also sets the date for a rescheduled date, if required.
Kevin Sanson Band, a Conway based classic rock group, will highlight the entertainment schedule which also includes local talent.
Other activities could go on Monday, weather permitting, even if Mother Nature won’t allow the fireworks to fly.
Check back here later today for any updates in the Independence Day celebration schedule, and see Wednesday’s Tabor-Loris Tribune in print and online for the recap.
Gates are scheduled to open at 6 p.m., entertainment starting at 6:45 p.m., with fireworks set to fly at 9:35 p.m. Admission is free. Pets and coolers are not allowed.
Mayor pro tem Lamont Grate is the scheduled emcee, with entertainment from Yam Festival Young Miss Sara Faulk, Courtney Bronya Prince, Jaclyn Ray, Love Mission, and The Kevin Sanson Band.
Veterans will be recognized, drawings will be held, and more.
Scheduled events include:
- 6:45 p.m. – Welcome and introduction, Chamber President Chris Avery
- Emcee, Tabor City Town Councilman Lamont Grate
Invocation, Minister Christian Grate
- 6:55 – Love Mission
- 7:15 – Introduction of visiting queens
- 7:20 – NC Yam Festival Young Miss Courtney Bronya Prince; raffle drawing by NC Yam Festival queens
- 7:30 – Jaclyn Ray
- 7:45 – Recognition of Veterans, Tony Miller, President of the Columbus County Fire & Rescue Honor Guard; Tribute to Veterans sung by T.J. James; raffle drawing by NC Yam Festival Queens
- 8 – Love Mission
- 8:20 – Sponsor recognition
- 8:25 – Kevin Sanson Band
- 9:25 – Raffle drawings by NC Yam Festival Queens/ 50/50 raffle drawing
- 9:30 – Presentation of Colors by the Columbus County Honor Guard
Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem by T.J. James
- 9:35 – Fireworks!!