Two hour delay for Columbus, Horry schools Monday
Both the Columbus and Horry County school districts will operate on a two-hour delay for students Monday, officials from those systems announced Sunday afternoon.
Buses will also run two hours late, the delay blamed on “numerous, icy patches remaining on many secondary roads and side streets,” an Horry County schools announcement said.
Students and staff are impacted by the delay in Columbus County, with administrators and custodians to report at their normal time.
“All 240 and 246-day employees are to report at regular times and custodial employees will be notified by their supervisors,” the Horry County announcement said. “School buildings will open at their regular times to accommodate students who need to be dropped off by parents.”
Extreme cold weather is expected overnight Friday, with roads that have managed to thaw today likely to re-freeze creating hazardous conditions.
A wind chill advisory has also been issued for the overnight hours, wind chills tonight expected between zero and five degrees.
School closings and other updates will be posted here, as we receive them:
- Waste Industries trash pick-ups in Columbus County will be delayed one day for the rest of the week, with those trucks off of the road today due to safety concerns.
- Columbus County Schools will be closed for students and staff Friday.
- Columbus County Courthouse will open Friday at its regular time, with District Courts operating on their regular schedule at 9:30 a.m.
- All Horry County Government offices, including all Horry County Memorial Libraries, the Horry County Museum, and Horry County Community Centers will open at 10 a.m. Friday. Public Safety operations continue on a normal schedule.
- Horry County Schools will be closed Friday, with roads expected to re-freeze overnight. All 240 and 260 day employees are encouraged to report to work on Friday, as driving conditions permit. State law requires South Carolina public schools to schedule three make-up days for cancellations due to weather. Oct. 9, 2017 was used as a make-up day for the Sept. 11, 2017 closing due to Hurricane Irma. Jan. 16 will be used to make-up for the Jan. 3 closing, Feb. 19 for the Jan. 4 closing. Make-up plans for Jan. 5 will be announced in the near future.
- All Horry County government public meetings for today, including the Planning Commission and 2040 Steering Committee meetings, have been cancelled.
- All Horry County Solid Waste Authority facilities are closed today. Check here for updated SWA information throughout this weather event.