Get an early start to the Independence Day celebration as the Greater Tabor City Chamber of Commerce hosts its annual Fourth of July Fireworks Celebration tonight, one day early.
Returning as headline entertainers for the festivities at South Columbus High School is the Kevin Sanson Band, including Chamber President Chris Avery on bass and vocals. Last year’s performance opened with Grand Funk Railroad’s “We’re an American Band,” closed with the same group’s signature song “Closer to Home,” and rocked the middle with everything from a Beatles medley to KC and the Sunshine Band’s “Play that Funky Music.”
Expect a similar classic rock and roll classics with two performance starting at 7:30 and 8:45 p.m. on the Stallion football field.
Admission is free. Pets, coolers and alcoholic beverages are not allowed.
Food and beverages will be on sale by the Greater Tabor City Chamber of Commerce, sno cones by youth of Old Zion Wesleyan Church,
Fireworks bring the crowds, both inside the gate and lining the highways surrounding South Columbus, but there’s plenty more in the hours leading up to the 9:30 p.m. pyrotechnic display.
Gates open at 6 p.m., entertainment begins at 7 p.m. with Avery opening the program and introducing emcee Lamont Grate, Tabor City’s mayor pro tem.
Rev. Billy Roy of Crossroads Church will lead the invocation, with entertainment kicking off at 7:15 p.m., including:
- 7:15 – Peyton Mincey and NC Yam Festival Young Miss Deeanna McCormick
- 7:30 – Kevin Sanson Band
- 8 – Courtney Bronya Prince and an introduction of visiting queens
- 8:15 – Recognition of veterans with Rev. Billy Roy, tribute to veterans sung by Courtney Bronya Prince, raffle drawings by Yam Festival queens, recognition of sponsors
- 8:35 – NC Yam Festival Queen Deegan Hudson
- 8:45 – Kevin Sanson Band
- 9:15 – Raffle drawings
- 9:25 – Presentation of Colors, Columbus County Fire & Rescue Honor Guard; Pledge of Allegiance; National Anthem led by Erin Mincey
- 9:30 – Fireworks!
There will be a 50/50 raffle and numerous prizes available in a separate raffle. Those items and sponsors include:
- Oil change, Tabor City Automotive
- Two $25 gift cards, First Bank
- Sweet potato treats gift basket, NC Yam Festival
- Electric blower, Singletary Lawn Mower Repair
- $100 shopping spree, Time Saver Store #9
- Spa afternoon for two $150 value), Dixie Bell Place Bed & Breakfast Look for a review of this year’s celebration in next week’s Tabor-Loris Tribune in print and online.