Rain brings an end to region burning bans

By DEUCE NIVEN

tribdeuce@tabor-loris.com

     Scattered rainfall that began late last week and continued into this one has brought an end to burning bans for Columbus and Horry counties.

     Horry County lifted its ban Monday morning, a news release sent just before 10 a.m. said.

     Columbus County was included in a regional ban covering 18 eastern North Carolina counties, that ban will be lifted effective at 5 p.m. today (Monday), a NC Dept. of Agriculture news release said.

     Burn permits are again available in the impacted North Carolina counties, “however caution is strongly encouraged with any open burning as careless debris burns ar the leading cause of wildfires in North Carolina,” the news release said.

     North Carolina’s online burn permit system is again available here.

     Horry County officials “ask that you continue to follow all burning regulations set forth by the South Carolina Forestry Commission” which can be found here.

     Those who conduct any open burning in Horry County are required to contact the Forestry Commission before the burn is started at 800-986-5404.